Safe and smooth operating
- As the operator of a forklift, you must receive thorough forklift safety training and certification before being entrusted with the heavy machinery.
- Be alert and attentive to your surrounding environment at all times with these forklift safety tips:
- Avoid hazards on the floor; slippery or unstable surfaces, bumps, holes, etc.
- Driving over small, scattered hazards (like shards of wood) may make the load shift and topple, or knock you out of place (and out of control)
- Direct your forklift forward when driving up ramps, but go downhill in reverse.
- Don’t load/unload on the ramp.
- Alert others of your coming with a horn or your voice.
- Keep a safe distance from people and from other trucks
- Stop only when you have enough space to pause safely.
- Note any changes to your operating environment.
- Ensure that you are in complete control of the vehicle.
- Stay in the operator’s seat, and keep your body within the frame of the vehicle at all times.
- Wear your seat belt for protection case the vehicle topples; if that’s the case, the frame and seatbelt will offer sufficient protection.
- Never allow unauthorized people to drive or otherwise operate the forklift.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!